(COMBAT SYSTEMS, NAVAL OPERATIONS, SEA STUDIES, NAVIGATION, ELECTRONICS & TELECOMMUNICATIONS SECTOR)
DIRECTOR: PROFESSOR IOANNIS KOUKOS
The main objective of the Combat Systems, Naval Operations, Sea Sciences, Navigation, Electronics and Telecommunications Sector of the Hellenic Naval Academy is to provide teaching and research activities in the fields of:
- Navigation and Sea Sciences
- Combat Systems and Naval Operations
The following teaching and research subjects are supported by the Sector:
- A. Navigation and Sea Sciences
- Theoretical Navigation: Geodesy, Analytical Cartography and navigation. Position, Navigation and Time (PNT) systems. Methods and algorithms for navigational problems. Hydrography. Nautical Cartography. Positioning error analysis.
- Applied Navigation: General navigation, Coastal navigation, Astronomical navigation. Paper and electronic nautical charts. Nautical publications. Electroni navigational systems. Tides and tidal streams. Nautical geography.
- Military Oceanography: Physical and geological oceanography. Influence and effect of sea environment in naval operations. Applied nautical meteorology. Rapid environmental assessment of naval operations.
- Geographic Information Systems in marine sciences and naval operations: Electronic charts, Digital Terrain Models and other digital geospatial data for navigation and naval operations. Construction of nautical and operational charts and maps in GIS environment.
- Remote sensing in marine sciences and naval operations: Remote Sensing Systems, Sensors and Procedures. Processing and Analysis of Remote Sensing Data for Extracting Marine Geospatial Information for Operational Use.
- B. Combat Systems and Naval Operations
- Ballistics (Internal, External, Terminal). Artillery and Naval Weapons. Guided Missiles. Hydroacoustics and Sonar Systems. Fire Direction Systems. Tactical Systems. RF and Electrooptical Sensors. Combat Information Acquisition and Processing Systems. Marine and Joint Operations. Theory and Applications of Naval Military Radar. Electronic and Network-Centric Warfare. Operational Research for Naval Operations. Integrated Command-Control-Communication - Computers-Intelligence, Surveillance & Reconnaisance (C4ISR) Systems. Satellite / Space Applications. Naval Aviation and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and Systems (UAV/UAS).
- C. Electronics and Telecommunications
- Electronics: Instrumentation and Measurement. Techniques and Prototypes in Electronic and Electromagnetics Measurements. Electronic Physics. Semiconductor Devices, Microelectronics. Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits and Systems. Electronic Elements and Circuits Modeling. High Frequency Electronics. Microwave and Millimeter-wave Electronics Elements. Integrated Circuits and Systems. Optoelectronics and Photonics. Transceivers Principles and Design. Ship Electronics Technology.
- Wireless Systems Technology: Electromagnetic Waves Transmission and Scattering with Applications in Sea Environment. Microwave and Millimeter Wave Structures. Antennas. Radiolocation Principles Techniques and Systems. Electromagnetic Measurements Techniques and Prototypes. Electromagnetic Compatibility and Interference (EMI / EMC). Naval Wireless Systems.
- Telecommunications and Networks: Collection, Analysis, Processing, Coding and Transmission of Analog and Digital Signals. Wireless, Satellite and Mobile Communications and Networks. Wired and Optical Communications and Networks. Telecommunication Network Analysis and Design. Naval Telecommunication Systems.
The following Laboratories operate in the Sector:
- Navigation and Sea Sciences Laboratory
- Battle Systems and Naval Operations Laboratory
- Electronics Laboratory
- Telecommunications Laboratory